Thursday, November 17, 2011

Bender Hat

One of my friends found a wonderful picture on the Internet one day and, being the big kid he is, said
he wanted it.  I took a look at it and said sure, I can make that - and I can make it adult-sized (because honestly, why would you put Bender on a kid).

I picked up a ball of the soft Red Heart yarn in grey and a ball of pure white Sugar 'n Cream and got started.

The antenna was first.  I pulled it out and started over a number of times trying to get it round enough and then ended up over-stuffing it so it stretched out into an oval.  The shaft was a bit trickier, but I got it in one try and, of course, under-stuffed it, so it's more than a bit floppy and has been deemed quite a bit more phallic than intended.

The hat itself was next, which was a breeze with how many hats I've made.  The only tricky part was figuring out where to place the ear flaps and how big to make them.  The hat ended up a bit small, but it stretches, so it worked out.

Then the eye guard thing.  That took all of five minutes, if one doesn't count the time to figure out how much to chain.  The eyes didn't take very long either; the most difficult bit was making sure they were the same size.  The pupils took even less time.

Attaching everything, though annoying, wasn't difficult.  It turned out really great and was worn to a party on its first night of existence.  It immediately became the drinking hat.

Project pre-dates blog: Specific details unavailable.

No comments:

Post a Comment