Thursday, November 17, 2011

Daniel Erik

The first pattern I ever followed was for a baby sweater.  It came out of a 1950s pattern book my friend's ex-wife had - she couldn't crochet, so she asked if I would be willing to make one of them.

I picked pattern 103 and made just the sweater, as that was all the yarn allowed.  At the local Jo-Ann's, I texted the dad "blue or orange, no questions" and ended up going for a blue and white baby yarn that was super-soft.

I've always been hesitant to use patterns, one because they have that language all their own that they can't decipher for you because you have to know it before you're allowed to use patterns.  Two because they aren't always clear with what you're supposed to be doing or which stitch you're supposed to be working off of or what stitch you're supposed to be using.  Three because it's no fun.

However, this one was easy to follow and was quite a bit of fun because it forced me to learn multiple stitches I hadn't worked with before and taught me ways to combine stitches to make new patterns.

And it turned out really nice, I think.  Unfortunately, I didn't take a picture of it after I finished it (a habit I really need to get out of), so the above is the only documentation I have of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment